Steel 101: Introduction to Steel Making & Market Fundamentals
The Steel 101 Workshop is running live on October 19-20, 2022 in Corpus Christi, Texas
Our live workshops are unique in that we choose the location based on access to a working steel mill. The next live workshop in October will be held in Corpus Christi, Texas. Participants will tour the Steel Dynamics Inc. mill in Sinton, Texas – the newest EAF sheet mill in the United States - and will be able to see first-hand all stages of production.
Steel Market Update's Steel 101 Workshop is the premier industry training for understanding steel making and market fundamentals. Workshop instructors have a combined 150+ years' experience in the steel industry.
Our team of Instructors will present and describe the structure of the steel industry and the steel making process, starting with raw materials, and going all the way through the various rolling mills and coating processes. The workshop will focus on all aspects of flat and long product production, quality, and market drivers. Participants will have a guided tour of a steel mill which specializes in flat rolled products, and see all stages of production.
You will have the opportunity to ask questions in live Q&A's after each main topic plus we'll have a Networking Happy Hour on Day One, so you can meet and mingle with the instructors and other workshop attendees.
Register now for access to: all the workshop training, the steel mill tour, and a comprehensive Steel 101 workbook. This workshop also includes a certificate of completion for 11 hours of training that you can claim towards your ISM CPM recertification credits.
Whether you are new to the industry or are experienced and changing roles, our experts will help you gain the knowledge to succeed!
View the example schedule
- Understand how steel is made (flat and long)
- Understand where steel is used
- Understand what drives steel market pricing
- Understand how you can navigate the market
- Identify raw materials used in steelmaking
- Understand the melting and casting process
- Understand the rolling processes for both flat and long products
- Understand the coating process for hot dipped products
- Understand quality issues that affect steel
- Recognize the differences between fully integrated and mini-mills
- Understand the fundamentals that move market pricing
- Understand how steel is bought and sold
- Identify potential risks in the steel supply chain
Understand available data, tools and resources