Steel 101: Introduction to Steel Making & Market Fundamentals
We will be running the next Steel 101 Workshop, February 9-10, 2021 on our customized virtual platform
Steel Market Update's Steel 101 Workshop is the premier industry training for understanding steel making and market fundamentals. Workshop instructors have a combined 150+ years' experience in the steel industry.
Our team of Instructors will present and describe the structure of the steel industry and the steel making process, starting with raw materials, and going all the way through the various rolling mills and coating processes. The workshop will focus on all aspects of flat and long product production, quality, and market drivers. Participants will have a virtual guided tour of a steel mill which specializes in flat rolled products, and see all stages of production.
You will have the opportunity to ask questions in live Q&A's after each main topic plus we'll have a Networking Happy Hour on Day One, so you can meet and mingle with the instructors and other workshop attendees.
See the schedule here
The advantages of the virtual workshop are many:
You will be able to watch segments both live and on-demand if you miss something, or want to re-watch a particular topic
Take advantage of the live networking happy hour on Day 1 for the chance to mingle with your fellow attendees and the instructors
Get involved in interactive Q&A discussions with our experienced trainers and extended time to message them after the live programming with more specific questions
Access and download all the resources at your convenience, you will also receive a comprehensive workbook as well as access to related resources on the SMU website
This workshop is the perfect training for anyone involved in the steel industry, whether you are just starting out, or simply want to learn more about how steel is produced and sold.
- Understand how steel is made (flat and long)
- Understand where steel is used
- Understand what drives steel market pricing
- Understand how you can navigate the market
- Identify raw materials used in steelmaking
- Understand the melting and casting process
- Understand the rolling processes for both flat and long products
- Understand the coating process for hot dipped products
- Understand quality issues that affect steel
- Recognize the differences between fully integrated and mini-mills
- Understand the fundamentals that move market pricing
- Understand how steel is bought and sold
- Identify potential risks in the steel supply chain
Understand available data, tools and resources