Steel 101: Introduction to Steel Making & Market Fundamentals
Steel Market Update's Steel 101 Workshop is the premier industry training for understanding steel making and market fundamentals. Workshop instructors have a combined 150+ years' experience in the steel industry.
The workshop will focus on all aspects of flat and long product production, quality, and market drivers. Participants will tour a steel mill which specializes in flat rolled products, and see first-hand all stages of production.
Attendees will also receive a comprehensive workbook as well as access to related resources on the Steel Market Update website.
This workshop is the perfect training for anyone involved in the steel industry, whether you are just starting out, or simply want to learn more about how steel is produced and sold.
Our next workshop is being held in Ontario, California on January 7-8, 2020. Participants will tour a steel mill which specializes in flat rolled products and see first-hand all stages of production.
We choose our locations because our workshops are unique in that they include a tour of a working steel mill. In October, we will visit a California Steel Industries mill.
CSI is the leading producer of flat rolled steel in the Western United States, producing the widest range of flat rolled steel products in the region. We are the only West Coast steel supplier capable of producing over 2 million tons of steel representing five different product lines: hot rolled, pickled and oiled, galvanized, and cold rolled sheet, and electric resistance welded pipe. For further information about CSI, please visit their website
- Understand how steel is made (flat and long)
- Understand where steel is used
- Understand what drives steel market pricing
- Understand how you can navigate the market
- Identify raw materials used in steelmaking
- Understand the melting and casting process
- Understand the rolling processes for both flat and long products
- Understand the coating process for hot dipped products
- Understand quality issues that affect steel
- Recognize the differences between fully integrated and mini-mills
- Understand the fundamentals that move market pricing
- Understand how steel is bought and sold
- Identify potential risks in the steel supply chain
Understand available data, tools and resources