About the Event
The conference will bring together perspectives from across the value chain and around the world, creating a dialogue between policy makers, investors, end-users and senior executives from across the value chain.
Key questions the event will explore:
What data is available to understand the steel decarbonisation challenge?
What can the steel value chain do right now to reduce emissions?
- What criteria can be used to define green steel?
- What criteria is used to assess the decarbonisation credentials of value chain players?
- Which players are best placed in a low carbon industry and which may lose market share?
- What lessons can be learnt from decarbonisation efforts in other commodities and industries?
What technological developments could dramatically change the picture in steel decarbonisation?
- How can each player help others in the value chain reduce their emissions and get recognition for this?
- What energy efficiencies or process optimizations can be made across the value chain?
- How can the energy needs of a green steel industry be supplied sustainably?
- What proportion of steel production can be made using scrap or low emission feedstocks?
- What are the costs, roadblocks and limitations of these technologies and process improvements?
How can policy makers support the decarbonisation of this critical commodity?
- What is the timeline for delivering industrial scale, zero carbon steelmaking?
- What companies are advancing these technologies and their implementation?
- What are the costs, roadblocks or other ultimate limits to these strategies?
- How might carbon capture and utilization be applied to the steel value chain?
How are sustainability considerations shaping investment in the steel value chain?
- What carbon pricing mechanisms are required to make decarbonisation investment viable?
- What are the implications of different government targets and likely policy pathways?
- How might different national and regional responses impact global trade flows in the value chain?
- Can policy consider global measures that matches the international nature of steel value chains?
How can consumers of steel products support value chain decarbonisation?
- What impact are carbon emissions considerations having on steel equity and investment ratings?
- What does sustainable investing mean for project finance in new mines, steel mills or processing plants?
- Is there standard practice among investors on how they assess carbon risk?
- What carbon trading strategies are currently available to control this risk?
- How are considerations of carbon emissions likely to impact steel purchasing decisions?
- Are there specific steel products which are likely to receive increased decarbonisation pressure?
- Is there a standard practice on how steel consumers assess the carbon footprint of their steel supply chain?
- Will different steel consuming sectors (auto, construction etc.) respond to the challenge in different ways?