Monday 7 March
**Please note that all agenda timings are provisional and subject to change**
10:00 Registration opens
10:30 - 13:00 Technical showcase presentations
13:50 Welcome address by Conference Chair: Chris Lawson, Head of Fertilizers, CRU
14:00 Global phosphate market outlook: overview, major issues, and the future
- Overview of major phosphate markets
- Overview of significant issues facing the phosphate industry
- Where might future opportunities lie?
Glen Kurokawa, Senior Analyst, Phosphate, Fertilizers, CRU
14:30 Keynote Presentation: North American market outlook
Understand the outlook for this major supply and demand market from one of the major global players.
Bruce Bodine, Senior Vice President – North America, The Mosaic Company
15:00 Panel discussion: Investment in the Canadian agricultural industry and its impact on the phosphates market
The Canadian market is premium fertilizer mark which has shown strong demand growth in recent years. Our panel will discuss the market, including demand, logistics and supply chain considerations.
Dr. Sylvain Charlebois, Professor, Director, Agri-Food Analytics Lab and Former Dean of the Faculty of Management, Dalhousie University
Dr. Tom Bruulsema, Chief Scientist, Plant Nutrition Canada
Todd Lewis, President, The Agricultural Producers Association of Saskatchewan
15:45 Coffee and Networking Break
16:15 Fireside chat: Assessing the impact of the countervailing duty on imports of phosphate fertilizers in the U.S.
Presenters to be confirmed
16:45 Adopting sustainable ESG practices in the phosphate industry
- Our responsibility – program overview; how ESG performance helps manage uncertainty and maximize value creation
- Environment – managing the impact of fertilizer production
- Our people – overcoming industry challenges to achieve diversity
- Downstream initiatives – 4Rs and work to bring agricultural solutions to market
- Focused on performance: our short-, mid- and long-term ambitions
Ben Pratt, Senior Vice President, Government and Public Affairs, The Mosaic Company
17:15 Chairman’s remarks and close of day one
17:15 – 19:00 Welcome reception
Tuesday 8 March
08:50 Opening remarks by Conference Chair: Chris Lawson, Head of Fertilizers, CRU
09:00 China phosphate fertilizer industry review and outlook
- China phosphate fertilizer industry review - focus on the policies, production, Import and Export, as well as the marketing and consumption trends
- The phosphate specialty fertilizer innovation and development trend in China
- The outlook and future trend for China phosphate fertilizers - Policies, production, marketing and consumption
Zhai Jidong, Vice President – International, Kingenta Ecological Engineering
09:30 Dynamics of growing consumer demand from Brazil and India
- Understand the demand dynamics from these crucial demand regions.
Priscila Richetti, Senior Market Intelligence Manager, Direct Procurement, Yara Brazil
Benton Kirk, Managing Director, CampoRico
Koyel Choudhury, India Analyst, CRU
10:15 Coffee and Networking Break
10:45 Fertilizer potential and limiting factors in Africa
- Opportunities in the Sub-Saharan Africa fertilizer market
- Increasing soil organic matter for soil health, and soil and plant nutrition
- Carbon sequestration potential in Africa
Albin Hubscher, President and Chief Executive Officer, International Fertilizer Development Center
11:15 Panel discussion: Are super high fertilizer prices driving the industry towards demand destruction?
- Analysing the cause of imbalance between supply and demand
- Are consumers dialling back their phosphate fertilizer applications?
- What will be the long-term effect of high prices on the phosphate industry?
Sanjeev Kanwar, Country Manager, Yara Fertilizers India Private Limited
Jake Niederer, Director of Sales and Marketing, Archer Daniels Midland Company
Assaf Naveh, Former Chief Executive Officer, Yunnan Phosphate Haikou
12:00 Global sulphur market update – When will the sulphur price reach its peak and what happens next?
- Will sulphur availability improve into 2022? How will supply growth affect sulphur prices?
- Can demand maintain its rate of growth into 2022? Which sectors and regions will drive demand to 2026?
- How big a threat is decarbonisation to sulphur supply in the medium and long term?
Peter Harrison, Senior Consultant, Sulphur and Sulphuric Acid, CRU
13:40 – 18:00 Technical Programme: Advances in the sustainable production of Phosphates
13:45 Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from NPK production
Rob Louwe, Yara
14:10 Pathway to a carbon free fertilizer complex using the CORE-SO2™ Sulfuric Acid Process
Rene Dijkstra, Chemetics
14:35 Road to Sustainability” – Preparing for energy transformation in sulphuric acid industry
Hannes Storch, Metso Outotec
15:00 Advances in environmentally sustainable operations, including water management, energy efficiency and reclamation
Igor Makarenko, Solex
15:25 Networking and refreshment break
15:55 Getting more circular
Presenter to be confirmed, Novaphos
16:20 P-recycling of sewage sludges : past, present and future developments
Catherine Thise, Marktrack
16:45 Altering Phosphate Fertilizer Solubility via De novo Struvite Production & Granulation
Ahren Britton, Ostara Nutrient Solutions
17:10 Combined Effects of RhizoSorb® and Fertilizer Placement for Improved Efficiency of Phosphorus Fertilizers in Corn
Aaron Waltz, Phospholutions
17:35 Phosphorus recovery from hydrothermally treated sewage sludge. Closing the phosphorus cycle
Rachel Zambrano, TreaTech
Wednesday 9 March
08:50 Opening remarks by Conference Chairman
09:00 Could the use of inorganic feed phosphate be over by 2050?
- Why phosphate is an issue for the feed industry : the limits of modern animal husbandry in intensive production systems.
- Does the feed industry still require IFP : can phosphorus needs be met without IFP supplementation?
- Possible future use of IFP in animal nutrition : are IFP going to become niche products?
Guillaume Milochau, Praxed
09:30 Developments in the specialty and complex fertilizer markets
Complex and specialty fertilizers continue to develop, enabling more sophisticated approaches to advanced crop nutrition and furthering sustainable agriculture.
Eli Amon, Chief Commercial Officer, ICL
10:00 Supplier views on commercial and logistics challenges
Supply chain and logistics challenges continue to test the industry. Hear from a major global producer on their views.
Chris Reynolds, Senior Vice President, Nutrien
10:30 Networking and Coffee Break
11:00 Examining supply change challenges in engineering and construction
A combination of covid and global supply chain issues have impacted routine maintenance and turnaround schedules across the industry. This presentation will provide insights into the causes of these challenges and how the engineering, procurement and construction industry is responding.
Jaafar Kabbaj, Head of Growth, JESA
11:30 Financing junior phosphates projects: What is the investment appetite?
- IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest multinational financial institute focusing on supporting private sectors in global emerging markets
- IFC provides debt and/or equity instruments and services to companies/projects in developing countries, with fertilizers industry as a part of IFC’s strategic investment focuses
- IFC prioritizes sustainable finance to help companies/projects achieving better results from financial, environmental and social perspectives
Lilian Tu, Senior Investment Officer, International Finance Corporation
12:00 Rock market dynamics and project updates
Arianne – the “Green” rock alternative
- Powered by hydro power
- Uses for LFP battery manufacturing
- Direct applications
Jeff Beck, Chief Executive Officer, Arianne Phosphate
Project update: Avenira
- Wonarah – unlimited opportunity
- Developing a remote project
- Balancing fertilizer and battery demand
Brett Clark, Chairman, Avenira Limited
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:40 – 18:00 Technical Programme
13:30 Product developments for phosphate flotation: the use of new synthetic reagents
Presenter to be confirmed, BASF
13:55 Reducing costs and environmental impacts of phosphate beneficiation using sensor-based sorting
Presenter to be confirmed, TOMRA
Phosphoric acid operations
14:20 Control of gypsum scaling and deposition in harsh environments by phosphonate chemical additives: Profound effects of inhibitor structure
Presenter to be confirmed, SUEZ
14:45 Prayon reinvents the Phosphoric Acid production using DCP “super-rock” as a raw material
Hadrien Leruth, Prayon
15:10 Phosphoric Acid: exploiting more with an integrated approach
Svetoslav Valkov, Desmet Ballestra
15:35 Networking and refreshment break
Granulation and finishing
16:00 Granulation Plant Modeling and Design Using SysCAD
Presenter to be confirmed, Hatch
16:25 Granulation plant revamps – Drivers, methodology and case studies
David Ivell, Chris Dennis, JESA Technologies
16:50 A Coating Solution for Difficult Fertilizer Blends
Lucas Moore, Arkema-ArrMaz
17:15 Controlled Release Phosphatic Fertilizers
Mithlesh Kumar Mathur, Director, Neelam Aqua & Speciality Chem
17:40 Ensuring efficient, seamless, dust free & sustainable operation
Presenter to be confirmed, Bedeschi
18:00 Close of conference