The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) is a leading diversified energy and petrochemicals group wholly owned by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Our objective is to maximize the value of the Emirate’s vast hydrocarbon reserves through responsible and sustainable exploration and production to support the United Arab Emirates’ economic growth and diversification.
We operate across the entire hydrocarbon value chain, through a network of fully-integrated businesses, with interests that range from exploration, production, storage, refining, and trading to the development of a wide range of petrochemical products
Since 1971, our work has enabled the UAE and its people to realize their remarkable potential. We have created thousands of jobs, driven the evolution and growth of a diverse knowledge-based economy, invested in education and research, and developed critical social infrastructure.
ADNOC Sour Gas
- As of 2021, ADNOC Sour Gas accounts for about 5% of the world’s total sulfur production, and is one of the world’s largest producers of granulated sulphur from a single site, which is transported by rail to the
Ruwais terminal for export.
- We operate the Shah Gas Plant, one of the world’s largest ultra-sour gas operations, with the capacity to produce 1.28 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day and 4.2 million tons of sulphur per year.
- In June 2021, we awarded an EPC contract to increase the process capacity of the Shah Gas Plant by 13% to 1.45 billion scfd of sour gas by 2023, thereby expanding capacity to 145% of the original design and growing sulphur production to 14,000 tons per day.
ADNOC Gas Processing
- ADNOC Gas Processing is one of the largest and most highly integrated gas processing companies in the world.
- We operate six gas processing plants consisting of 26 processing trains. The processed gas is broken up in four trains at Ruwais, before the products are delivered to our domestic and international customers.
- In addition, there are two sulphur granulation plants with integrated storage and two sulphur handling terminals for shipping. The Ruwais plants also serve other entities within the ADNOC Group. Excess amounts of product, for example sulphur, are also exported to almost 20 countries across the globe which drives UAE trade and economic growth. We export products from Ruwais, serving international markets including China, France, India, Japan, Turkey and Taiwan.
- Our operations are focused on processing and producing LNG, LPG, paraffinic naphtha, and sulphur for export, with a total production capacity of 8.2 million metric tons of LNG per year.
- Most LNG facilities do not produce appreciable quantities of sulphur because they generate LNG from pipeline gas containing <4 ppm H2S. The ADNOC LNG facility at Das Island processes sour gas and produces approximately 1,000 tons of sulphur per day.